Saturday 19 May 2007

The Big Ride!

In 4 days time I will be leaving for a John O'Groats to Lands End bike ride.

I will be travelling up by train and will be cycling most of it alone carrying all my gear with me. I am camping most of the way but do have a few friends to stay with en route.

I think this is going to be a fantastic time of meeting people, seeing places and taking some time out to reflect on life.

As you will see from my profile, I have an interest in 'End of Life Care' and I am raising money for Macmillan Cancer Support. I am hoping that my interactions with people along the way may give me an insight into how people feel about dying. Dying comes to us all but in the UK it is rarely talked about and I am always interested in why this is and how we can change that.

If you want to know more about the work of Macmillan Cancer Support then visit their site at www.macmillan.org

I am hoping to post regularly onto this blog during my trip so do keep an eye on it.

Here is my planned itinerary: -

May 23 Travel up to Wick (nearest train stop to John O’Groats)
May 24 John O’Groats to Brora
May 25 Brora to Inverness
May 26 Inverness to Newtonmore
May 27 Newtonmore to Dunkeld
May 28 Dunkeld to Edindurgh
May 29 Edinburgh to Galashiels
May 30 Galashiels to Longtown
May 31 Longtown to Thirlmere
June 1 Thirlmere to Lancaster
June 2 + 3 Rest days
June 4 Lancaster to Appley Bridge
June 5 Appley Bridge to Ellesmere
June 6 Ellesmere to Bishops Castle
June 7 Bishops Castle to Llanthony
June 8 Llanthony to Bristol
June 9 Bristol to Cheddar
June 10 Cheddar to Cullompton
June 11 Cullompton to Davidstow
June 12 Davidstow to St Agnes
June 13 St Agnes to Lands End

Thanks to everyone who is supporting me with sponsorship or company and shelter en route.
If you wish to sponsor me and haven't had chance yet then send a cheque (payable to 'Macmillan Cancer Support') to:-

Macmillan fundraising team
Room CP01
Level C
Rotherham General Hospital
Moorgate Rd
Rotherham
S60 2UD

And if you want to 'Giftaid' your donation then include a slip of paper with your name, address and the statement ''Please Giftaid this donation''

Watch this space!

8 comments:

Paul Linford said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging Kevin - and hope all goes well with the ride. I'm sure you'll have a great time!

AndyW said...

ditto!
andy

Politaholic said...

Am I right in thinking it's about 986 miles? Over 18 days of cycling that's about 55 miles per day. Of course, that doesn't take into account the nature of the terrain which I imagine is pretty tough for much of the journey. Good for you.

Dalton Dollies said...

Good Luck Kev. keep your legs a pedalling and your eyes on the pot holes. have a pastie for us when you get there. We'll keep intouch. Luv the Dalton Dollies

Mary Bolster said...

Dear Kevin
Its your Mum here. Wishing I was with you cycling through all that lovely Scottish scenery.
Tom is quite poorly. He has even gone off his food and his walks.
See you on the 2nd June.
Love Mum

Dalton Dollies said...

hope that you are not too tired after your first day's cycling= keep the faith-

Mary Bolster said...

Dear Kevin
The forecast is for cool weather up there in Northern Scotland. Its coming south too so we will be cool on sunday and monday.
thinking of you.
Love Mum and Dad

Dalton Dollies said...

Hi Kevin it's sarah on my last day at dalton I've been weepy I know that wont surprise you. Hope the muscles and joints are standing up OK and I'm sure you're looking forward to your break and seeing kids and Mc donoughs Take care see you soon love Sarah