Monday 28 May 2007

Day 5 - 28th May


Dunkeld - Edinburgh (68 miles)
Today took me through the lush green countryside of Perthshire (see photo).
Perth itself is somewhere I could easily have spent all day. It has a sense of history and grandeur about it. Sadly a sandwich stop was all I could manage with another 50 miles ahead of me.
Eventually I linked up with National Cycle Network Route 1 (NCN1) fondly known as 'Coasts and Castles'. NCN1 is the longest NCN route and took me smoothly through Dunfermline, accross the Forth bridge and in to Edinburgh. Cycling is well supported up here in Scotland and I was impressed by how many comuters I saw on my way into the city centre, all with there own versions of the very stylish 'High Visability' gear us cyclists choose to adorn ourselves with.
Now I am making my way through more populated areas I have found that having a touring bike is a bit like having a baby in a buggy. Suddenly, everyone feels its OK to chat to you and ask you about your bike trip. I particularly enjoyed one toddlers successful attempt to engage me in a conversation about his new bike and how it compared to mine whilst we were at a pedestrian crossing, all to the amusement of his mother.
Lastly I would like to mention that it has remained dry and fairly sunny for me over the last 2 days and from the variety of depressing text messages I have recieved, am I right in thinking that I'm the lucky one? Who'd have thought it eh! You're all welcome to join me if you want. I'll await the replies.

1 comment:

saucie_pepper said...

Take a look at the metoffice site - bet you're glad not to have that falling on you.
Remember to keep the passport handy and ready for the border crossing.