Tuesday 29 May 2007

Day 6 - 29th May

Edinburgh - Galashiels (40 miles)
Today I paid the price for yesterdays comments as I was soaked to the skin by the constant rain! I decided that today was a 'lets just get there' kind of day so I did very little appreciating of the scenary or local attractions. However, I would like to show my appreciation for 2 things: -
1) I needed some essentials repairs to the bike this am and Derek at Blackhall cycles in Edinburgh was a star! He replaced the bottom bracket on the bike and was a great source of advice. He is one of those fantastic mechanics that will do anything to help and allows you to take an interest in what he is doing.
2) The staff at the 'Laird and Dogs' Hotel who gave me a warm welcome, some pale ale, a lovely steak pie, useful route tips and some money for Macmillan. I could have stayed there all day!
For those who have shown an interest in how I am keeping the blog updated I am using a combination of internet cafes, friends and family (who I have stayed with) and Lucy who posted my first day's news after we spoke that evening. No high tech gadgets.

5 comments:

saucie_pepper said...

Nearly halfway and hardly out of Scotland, with a promise of some not so wet weather.
Should hit some good beer spots as you journey.
Keep it up.

Ange/RCCC Team said...

Hi Kevin All keeping track of you at this end ( in comfort of course).
We havn't forgotten that this is just a practice run for next year!!! You hadn't forgotten that had you?
Keep up the good work
Take Care and ENJOY

Unknown said...

Hi Kevin;
Gordon, Sally, Angus, Connan And Shona are heading in the opposite direction tomorrow (on four wheels). We'll wave on the way past somewhere north of Lancaster; unless you stop off at Coniston for an early week-end off!

Robbo said...

Well done Kev - hope you're enjoying your rest at the moment!
R,K,H+S

sandra said...

Hi Kevin,
Thinking of you as nothing better to do on nights!Keeping track of your progress. Keep up the good work.
All at the Hospice.