Saturday 2 June 2007

Day 7 - 30th May

Galashiels - Longtown (68 miles)
Today was a long but fabulous day although it had a rather grim start. Despite the promise of sunshine, the first few hours of the day were wet and I really struggled to leave the comfort of the house (I had stayed with a friend Ruth).
Then came the sun and better still, the Esk valley. This is a beautiful and peaceful place with the quietest roads imaginable. Glenmorangie lays claim to the term 'Glen of tranquility' but having been there on this trip I can tell you that its not a touch on this place.
Maybe unsurprisingly, the upper valley is home to the 'Samye Ling Tibetan Centre' which is the largest Buddhist monastry in the western world (pictured here). I popped in for some tea and cake and a rest in the very softly furnished cafe.
I should mention that towards the end of today I passed back into England with a momentous sense of anticlimax. The 'Welcome to England' sign was almost lost in the bushes and looked very shabby. I was sad to have left Scotland but happy to have cycled nearly half my trip within its borders!

No comments: