Friday 15 June 2007

Day 19 - 13th June

Portreath - St Ives - Lands End (39 miles)
Dan and I enjoyed a fine cooked breakfast (another first on the trip) and then staggered off the find our bikes, hoping they would take the weight!
We conquered a classic climb out of the cove where Portreath sits and then breezed along the coast on high ground with Costa del St Ives in the distance.
The weather was perfect and we were both in good spirits as we ate up the miles at an encouraging rate.
It was very tempting to spend the afternoon on the almost empty beach at St Ives but we resisted and pressed on up the last big hill of the day to our lunch stop near Zennor.
With the beautiful weather, winding coastal roads and quaint little villages made this last section of the ride a real highlight for me. A bike didn't strike me as the most sensible or relaxing way to explore the cornish coast but I can honestly say I would happily do this sectiona again (see photo).
Finding ourselves only 6 miles from Lands End I felt the sudden urge not to rush so we stopped for a well earned Cornish cream tea and then headed for the finish line.
And then.....there it was. Lands End! We crossed the line, had cake and whisky, made phone calls, chatted to a few people just starting out, signed the official book and enjoyed looking out to the Atlantic sea. Despite the theme park that is now Lands End I did find myself able to enjoy the experience.
1058 miles! What can I say. Its been an adventure.
I hope you have enjoyed reading about my travels. There are many more tales to tell than are contained in these pages but no doubt they will come out over time.
I have found it such an encouragement to know that people are taking an interest so thank you for all your support.
C U soon

6 comments:

Robbo said...

Well done Kev - a fantastic ride for a great cause!
R,K,H+S

Dan Nicholson said...

Well - what an account, and what a trip! I was really very proud of your massive effort Kevin and for such a good cause. I can say it publically that you have earned my greatest respect and your new title of UK (Uphill Kevin) while I must live with DD (Downhill Dan). Still we all have our strengths!

Thanks again for the opportunity to share your last day with you - I can't imagine how anti-climactic it would have been without at least one face that you know to shhare and eat nearly all of your special cake (thanks Lucy). You'll be glad to hear that my posterior is recovering rapidly and I'm also feeling just a touch of pride that old peddlers can do it too - albeit for 1 day.

Here's to the next joint experience - which is likely to be on the waterways of GB.

DD

alinbob said...

Kevin, well done, my wife and i met you and father in law at the finish line took photos and had a chat
great encouragement for our journey
as i had taken the car down icouldnt
cycle with my wife and didnt feel comfy at the prospect of either of us getting lost so ali done a few miles and then i suggested that we head home and put alittle more planning into the journey (bob).
Fantastic Kevin, what a feeling meeting you as you crossed the finish line, knowing that you arrived as i was starting (ali).

little Suze said...

Well done kevin (and dan!)! The pictures are amazing, and what an adventure you had.

Rob is really thinking how much he would love to do it, maybe in two sections tho.

Well done and big hugs. I'm so proud to tell everyone that "my brother has just cycled john o' groats to land's end!"
Your a star.
Big hugs,
sis x

Unknown said...

Well done Kev- no mean achievement, and modest as ever. Glad the trusty Wilson served you well. Anyone looking to emulate Mr Bolster couldn't go far wrong by checking Wilson Cycles on this link:

http://www.wilsoncycles.co.uk/

This Sheffield frame builder knows what's what when it comes to balancing weight, comfort and strength on an end-to-end bike. Try getting an alloy bike repaired en-route as easily as a classic steel frame. . .

let's all plan an end-to-end !

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Webcam, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://webcam-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.