Wednesday 6 June 2007

Day 10 - 4th June

Lancaster - Preston - Appley Bridge (47 miles)
Having received warnings from my guidebook about the challenges of cycling through Lancaster and Preston I was pleasantly surprised with the mornings riding. After joining other cyclists on Lancaster's lovely millennium bridge, I quickly found myself breezing along a wide easygoing cycle path in the sunshine with nice views over Morecombe bay. Preston was also fairly simple to get through and before I knew it I was into the Lancashire countryside again.
The country lanes south of Preston make for easy riding but this part of the world seems to be full of sprawling, uncharacterful villages that lack any obvious centre and appear to join up with each other (quite confusing when trying to decide where exactly you are).
My first day back in the saddle after the weekend off finished early and I felt optimistic (both emotionally and physically).
Tomorrow - Warrington and the Mersey with the Welsh borders beckoning!

No comments: