Friday 15 June 2007

Day 17 - 11th June



Exeter - Okehampton - Launceston - Tintagel (64 miles)
Firstly I want to acknowledge the most committed follower of my blog - Saucie_pepper. Yesterdays comment took me back about 20 years to a pizza restaurant in Exeter that served 'dustbin lid' pizzas (no prizes for guessing why they are called that). It has been mentioned that at times my blog has appeared to revolve around food which is probably true but this time it was someone else who introduced the food theme.
Todays riding involved big miles and big hills!
I've always imagined Dartmoor in slightly murky conditions and today reinforced that idea. As I skirted round the north flank of Dartmoor in the rain I wondered if I was going to see it at all and then a huge dark submarine like shape appeared out of the low cloud and loomed over me for a few miles (see photo).
After Launceston the sun came out and I climbed around the north flank of Bodmin moor along quiet cornish lanes with banks covered in purple and yellow flowers (see photo). I was eager for a distant view of the sea in the late afternoon sun but before I topped out near Davidstow a thick grey sea mist rolled in and obscured just about everything. the only thing I did spot was my favourite place name of the trip so far - Splatt. Wouldn't that be a fun place to live.
I did eventually get to see the sea as I sped down into Tintagel and I suddenly felt quite excited. The first views of the open sea since Day 2 in the far North of Scotland.
The YHA Hostel at Tintagel is beautifully perched on the cliffs (see photo) and provided a very peaceful and welcoming end to a good days pedaling.
Tommorrow....the cornish coast and cream teas!

No comments: