Saturday 2 June 2007

Day 9 - 1st June


Threlkeld - Lancaster (55 miles)
The deep blue sky and bright sunshine that woke me this morning was wonderful. A close second was the cup of tea and extra sponsorship from my neighbours on the campsite, Elizabeth and Ben. Thanks Guys!
Today was the lake district at its best. I drifted my way alongside Thirlmere (pictured here) and Grasmere and then through Ambleside, Windernere and Kendal with the sun on my back the whole way. In fact, it was a wee bit (sorry, forgot I'm now back in England) too warm at times, especially on the climbs.
What interests me about the Lake district is that the cafes and roads are full but the fells seem pretty empty apart from the odd mountain biker or weary looking school party. Maybe I'm just biased because I was trying to negotiate the narrow roads and busy towns. However, I did feel that I had earned my scone with jam and cream unlike some people who looked like they really needed to walk theirs off!
And now its time for 2 much needed rest days before I venture down through the northwest and on into Wales.

6 comments:

saucie_pepper said...

Don't worry about the odd languages lapses, England is full of Scottish ex-pats and someone is sure to understand you.
I think you are too late to write 'Cycle Shops on the John O'Groats to Lands End Route' but it may need up-dating.
Enjoy the rest of the trip and bye the way, if she's looking, Happy Birthday Amy.

Dan Nicholson said...

This is the Wrinklies from Poo calling! Good to talk to you (by proxy) tonight, and very glad that you had planned well enough to have a well-deserved rest this weekend. It must have been lovely to see Lucy and the girls. I am currently investigating your route to see where is the best place to join you so that I can effect a bit of slow down on your progress somewhere in the west country. I will let you know, probably via Lucy, and we WILL cycle together. After all if we can sail, drink, walk, play drums and guitars together the sky's the limit (as long as you go at my pace). Lotsa Luv Dan & Chris

Barry said...

Well done so far Kevin. I feel quite envious of you. You make it sound SOOOOO easy!! I am amazed at your progress and think Hmmmm maybe a 60+ year old could do something like this? Or maybe I wont! Keep smiling
Barry

Mary Bolster said...

saucie_pepper?!?
Now I know who you are it all makes sense.
It was lovely to see you all on saturday - real family get together.
Dad and I went for a walk yesterday and decided that we could consider taking up cycling now we don't have Tom any more.
Love Mum

Dalton Dollies said...

Hi Kevin it's Brenda here from the surgery at Dalton. All the Dalton Dollies are feeling exhausted just reading about your travels. Hope you enjoyed your rest and now it's time to get those wheels spinning again, I think!. Take care and God bless.

Rosie and Kay said...

Hi Kevin, We have enjoyed reading the story so far. Fantastic photos. Hope it is all still going well and according to plan. We'll be expecting a summary on the 20th June and will bring the sponsor money when we see you then. Keep safe til then. Have fun.