Saturday 9 June 2007

Day 15 - 9th June

Bristol to Wedmore (37 miles)
Having had 2 separate breakfasts with 2 separate lots of friends I was ready to leave the big city and head for the country.
I ditched the tent and a few other camping bits in Bristol (to pick up on the way back home) so I was feeling a little lighter and full of energy. I decided that I had enough planned stops not requiring a tent that I might as well fill in the gaps with YHA Hostels and so do away with the need for a tent (a distinct advantage when facing the repetitive undulations of Devon and Cornwall).
I navigated my way across the Avonmouth bridge (not the most picturesque of bridges) and quickly found myself in Clevedon and then Yatton. Having made good progress I did wonder around and visit my old house and school etc etc. I don't know what I really expected to find but nothing much had changed. There were lots of kids playing in the streets around my old house just as I used to do. It was nice to remember.
The next section of the route took me along the 'strawberry' line which is now a cycle track but used to carry strawberries from the fertile land on the south side of the mendips up to London while still fresh. The cyclepath includes quite a long tunnel without any lighting but a strip of cats eyes on the ground to aid the cyclist. There were quite a few of us attempting to navigate the tunnel at the same time and it almost ended in disaster. Thankfully I came out unscathed and sauntered down through cheddar to Wedmore and my bed for the night.
I found the house I was looking for with ease having now mastered the art of spotting the locals who will know. This time the chosen local didn't recognise certain aspects of the address but knew exactly who I was looking for and showed me the house. I love these small villages where everyone knows each other.
Tomorrow I am cycling with a colleague (Charles Campion-Smith) and looking forward to it very much. Tonight I have the pleasure of staying with some of Charles' relatives in their lovely renovated barn. Thanks guys, the welcome and food have been wonderful.
Their 2 little girls are a delight and seeing them playing made me smile and also reminded me of how much I miss my 2 little girls (and Lucy of course).
Only 4 more days to go!

2 comments:

saucie_pepper said...

I could tell you a thing or more about the youth hostels of Devon and Cornwall but I'm not going to. Except that my favourite is at Treyarnon Bay, which may or may not have lost some of its charm since it's recent refurbishment. A place to meet the great ocean.
Enjoy.

Robbo said...

Enjoy those Youth Hostels - I hear that many serve good beer now...
R,K,H+S