Friday 8 June 2007

Day 14 - 8th June

Monmouth - Bristol (31 miles)
I love the guidebook I am using for this trip. It is full of useful information including the location of every pub on the route. The author says they make useful waymarkers which is very true. I don't think he intends you to stop at every one although I have been tempted.
Today was a hot and muggy day so stopping at every pub was more tempting than ever. I climbed steadily up into the welsh hills before sailing (sorry cycling) down into Chepstow and across the Severn Bridge.
I was amused by the 2.3m width restriction on the bridge cycle path (see photo). I am quite wide with the paniers on but 2.3m! - thats some bike! There was also a 15mph speed limit (for bikes) which is slightly easier to exceed.
Following a blowout on my from tyre and some roadside repairs I arrived in sunny Bristol and spent a lovely evening with friends and family.
Thanks Phil, Mags, Skye, Natalie, Neil and Matthew for your warm welcome and opportunities to play (both with the kids toys and pool down the local pub).
Also thanks to Julie for good food and goods chats.
Tomorrow I cycle through Yatton which is the village where I spent some of my early childhood. Fond memories! Maybe I'll cycle past my old house.....

2 comments:

saucie_pepper said...

Not too much reminiscing or reenactment. Perhaps, Cheddar is a dodgy stopping off place. All those rocks.
Not much further through the last section and plan the next one over a nice cream tea!! And of course a roll in the Atlantic to ease those overworked limbs.

saucie_pepper said...

Setting the standard for epic cycle journeys. It takes three uniformly dressed cyclists, a van and clothes hung on coathangers to do Newcastle to Edinburgh.
Where's the sense of achievement?
Take care in Cheddar.