Saturday 2 June 2007

Day 8 - 31st May

Longtown - Threlkeld (41 miles)
A lovely sunny day that took me high into the lake district with its tiny lanes that cling to the mountain sides.
After a new back wheel in Carlisle (Yes, I managed to wear the rims of my old ones a bit thin!) I took an 'interesting' riverside cycle path out of town. This path has to be the only cycle route with barriers that are impossible to get your bike through (even minus paniers), unsignposted detours through terraced backstreets and most frustrating of all, STEPS! ah well....all adds to the adventure.
A beautiful bowl of homemade soup (the kind my mum makes!) with cheese and chutney sandwiuches at a tiny cafe in the tiny village of Heskett Newmarket set me up for a fabulous ride to the not so tiny (but nice all the same) campsite near Threlkeld. The campsite, like the rest of the area, lies deep in the shadow of Blencathra which towers above you as a constant prescence (see picture). Even the local community newsletter is called 'Below Blencathra'.
The knees were sore today but some rest is only a day away!

No comments: