Friday 15 June 2007

Day 18 - 12th June

Tintagel - Portreath (49 miles)
Today started with cereal for breakfast! Well when you've been travelling light and not carrying stuff like milk and cereal it makes a wonderful change from bananas and chewy bars.
After a few miles of cycling through drizzle and rain I made it to Rock with its little ferry waiting to take me accross to Padstow. As I waited to board the ferry the sun came out so I decded to wait for the next one and sit on the beach for a while with some cornish ice cream. I felt it was important to take care of my body ready for the steep climbs in the afternoon.
As expected the afternoon did involve some considerable hills. For a while I followed the 'Camel trail' which I presumed was called that because of the undulations but later realised that the river camel flows down past Padstow.
Today I had my most bizarre pub experience whilst having an afternoon ale in the Red Lion at St Columb Major. It was full of some colourful locals and one particular lady who marched around the bar area insisting that everyone sponsor me or else! I have a list of names on my sponsorship form to prove it and it includes the likes of Webby, Shiney, Skeggs and the likable (but distinctly pissed) Snipps. It was a great way of raising money for Macmillan but having finished my pint I was quite glad to leave.
Towards the end of the day I found myself at the bottom of an epic hill up to St Agnes and was sitting on a wall pondering the challenge ahead. An old lady came over to chat to me and suggested a tiny back road through the valley which was much more gradual. Now, I have had mixed experinces of locals and directions but I had a good feeling about this one so I set off in the direction she pointed. She was absolutely right. What a beautiful little road which was like a tunnel of trees that shaded me from the late afternoon sun.
Over the next hill was the welcome sight of my Father-in-law Dan outside a lovely B+B. Dan had kindly agreed to join me for the last day of the trip and see me to the finish line.
I ended the day wishing that I could go back and find the old lady who offered me such good advive and thank her for her kindness...

No comments: