Wednesday 6 June 2007

Day 11 - 5th June


Appley Bridge - Warrington - Ellesmere - Melverley (86 miles)
What a day!!
In our family we have a tradition of recalling 'highs' and 'lows' when we been on a big trip and so I thought I'd do the same for todays adventures.

Highs
Fine weather again.
A beautiful ride through the green bits of Warrington (yes they do exist). The 'Sanky Canal Trail'(see photo) takes you right through and links up with the 'Trans Pennine Trail' which helps you across the mersey through some meadows and scrub land. I really enjoyed this bit.
Good progress to Ellesmere.
Even hastier progress to Melverly before it got dark (see lows).
A warm and welcoming campsite in Melverley with the prime spot (under ye olde oak. See photo) all to myself.

Lows
The need to do some serious rubber burning in the midday sun (I knew I had alot of miles to cover).
Being chased down the road by a big black dog. Thankfully it gave up before I had to resort to squirting water at it (top tip from the guidebook).
Dodgy directions from a nice lady in Tarporley (see next point).
Trying to find Beeston! I'm still not convinced I actually found it.
A distinct lack of campsites in or around Ellesmere. The ones I had researched were no longer in existence!? Thankfully I had researched some 15 - 20 miles south although that wasn't very comforting as it was 7pm and I had already cycled 70 miles!
A complete lack of mobile phone reception around Ellesmere making the solving of the campsite problem a little tricky.
Cycling a third of tomorrows ride today! It will be a 'high' tomorrow.

So there you have it. The day that was. I think I'll have a lie-in tomorrow.

No comments: